Wednesday, August 10, 2011

That Was 1938...Why Not Now?

I won this pattern yesterday on ebay....It is from 1938. This is a day dress, what the ladies wore everyday.

Notice the handwritten note from the pattern company; thoughtful and polite... thankful as well.

I'm going to try my hand at making this dress, I love dresses and think this would be so much fun to wear at home and out as well.

Lately when I see women of all ages and young girls wearing jeans everywhere I can't help but think to myself...This is so un-lady-like. Why, jeans aren't really even flattering. They add bulk and show every little thing, it reminds me of 'The Emperor's New Clothes' story. Lately so many things do!

Is it any wonder the poor young girls have such a warped sense of what a normal figure should be?

Let's get back to the sweet things when men were men and women were women.

I enjoy skirts a great deal, how about you? Here is one of my skirt adventures and my favorite skirt pattern on My Forest Cathedral blog. An easy versatile top to make? I have one here on my thats-italian blog.

By the way ladies, Hobby Lobby has Simplicity patterns for 99 cents this week! So that would include my favorite skirt pattern above! : )

Have a great day in Jesus! ~Amelia

3 comments:

Mary said...

I find a lot of old patterns in my thrift store that I go to once in a while. I have to enlarge them because they are too small, but I have made 3 dresses so far.

I love pants and jeans and practically live in them, but really, I agree with you, we American ladies really should wear dresses more often.

It grieves me when I hear ladies (even Christian church ladies) brag that they don't even OWN a dress or a pair of feminine (low) heels!!! This shouldn't be.

Not to even OWN something distinctively feminine is a shame. You can get them for pennies in thrift stores or yard sales, and I get a lot of mine from free clothing give-aways.

I am practically the only lady in my church who wears a dress every Sunday. It is the only place left to dress up, it seems, and I take advantage of that. I realize that God doesn't care if ladies wear dresses to church, and we don't either, but I just think it is a shame that we have lost our femininity all across the board.

Mary said...

Oh, I have a new blog. Mary

Beloved's Redheaded Bride said...

Enjoyed reading this post, Mrs. Amelia.

I don't own any jeans! I look absolutly horrid in them! Truly I do!

Happy Sewing.