Thursday, August 18, 2011

MAKE DO OR DO WITHOUT

I thought this was great! My dad and my grandfather always said...

"Make do or do without"





I remember when I was young my mom and dad drove their car and truck til they fell apart. They would pay cash for a nice sensible vehicle and drive them and drive them. They did not buy new cars every two years to hold some imaginary insecure image EVEN THOUGH THEY HAD THE MONEY TO DO SO IF THEY WOULD HAVE WANTED. Praise God! PRAISE GOD!

loading ... Our home was a sweet home, a Thomas Kinkade type of home in the older part of our town. It had been built for my Uncle Wesley and Uncle Wesley had died in the home when he was in his 20s. He had attended Rice University, he and his bride had settled into the little home town on the bay. I can guarantee you when that gorgeous young man was dying he did not wish he had a a larger house, newer car or a boat. It was the Eternal that mattered, in fact I bet he could have cared less about a college degree he never would have used!!!

My German grandfather's home was next door, a beautiful red brick home that looked like it could have been transported from the beautiful museum district. The red brick home was not larger than needed though it was nice and it was adequate. Each home sat on four lots, only our two homes graced the block.

Now that I look back this was the better but the people who moved in with NASA coming in had the new homes and I can remember my mom wanting a new home. My dad would say,

"No, this home is paid for."

There was not a thing wrong with our sweet white siding home with storybook green shutters, except perhaps the kitchen was very small, but nothing that could not be remedied. My dad would also reiterate how the newer homes were so close together you could jump from rooftop to rooftop. He was right.

I enjoyed the saying at the top image from The Finer Things in Life

Do you want to read something good? Check her entry out here:
There's Beauty in Your Ugly Stroller

The above article could be fill in the blank, There is Beauty in Your Ugly (fill in blank). Car, coat, couch, coffee pot etc.

Don't be a part of The Emperor's New Clothes. If it takes going with only one car just do that little thing. I did when our girls were little tots for a year or so when my hubby was making a job change. And when we finally were able to afford a car for me to run around in we paid cash at the price of $450 dollars for a great sturdy little station wagon, it needed a new transmission and we found a reasonable mechanic to do the job.

Who wants to go to work leaving our children somewhere so we can have a dumb car? Think about that one. Custom curtains and fancy cars will rot one day, what will our children remember?

Our time with them! The ETERNAL!

Make everyday a sweet day, let's concentrate on Christian character and relationship with JESUS.

Don't go with the herd, go with the precious Word of God and His loving Presence, talk with Him, walk with Him and to heck with the rest. And for fellow homeschoolers, that goes for outclassing and college too. What are you doing all of that for if it is not practical or necessary? Could it be a pride issue? A popularity-with-other-mom's issue? (I still can't believe grown women play that game) And that's another blog...

Amen.


4 comments:

Beloved's Redheaded Bride said...

Now, isn’t that first picture a statement! I love it!! How true! Oh, How true! Families and our Nation need to get back to Biblical principles. Don’t we? I just thought I would let you know I am still simplifying! It has been a huge work in progress but I am thrilled! With the upcoming move we have had and the likely hood that we will be living in our camper next summer, It has helped so much to really put me in focus!

I adore all your family stories. They are always so delightful!

Mary said...

Oh, yes, that is an old New England rhyme: Use it up; Wear it out; Make it do; Or do without.

We're so materialistic in our country. Have to have the latest. Most of the large new homes go unused -- nobody in them half the time. Everybody out working to pay for them.

Yes, your family's story was delightful.

Miss Barnard said...

I needed to read this today. I am just beginning my journey as a stay at home mom. I quit my teaching job last spring just before my precious son was born. I told my husband I was dreading August in December, I can't stand the thought of my baby in daycare. I will be miserable.
My husband agreed and is now taking on all of the financial responsibility of the house. It has been tough, but as I say there are worse things than being poor. We may not have much money, but we are blessed beyond belief!

Amelia said...

Dear Mrs. Barnard,

Thank you SO very much for taking the time to comment here today. I cannot tell you the encouragement this gave my heart today. It was very timely. : )

You are so correct, there are way worse things than being poor, if you have the Lord, good health and joy, you have it all! There are so many moms living frugally on one income to lend encouragement, I hope I can be part of that encouragement in the future. We have raised 4 daughters, now ages 17 to 28 on one income, commission only with hubby being self employed so that means even more bills than the normal family to pay. But God is faithful. : )

I hope you come back to visit, maybe I can post links from time to time on saving money and buying nice but frugal gifts etc. nice gifts but reasonably.

One Christmas we had very little, and our gifts came primarily from Dollar General (dime type of store) They were beautiful gifts, my mother in law still uses her glass platter with bluebonnets on it, I only paid $5.00 for it but it really was pretty and in a box too.

You take care now, and GOD BLESS YOU!

Thank you again for coming by! Please, please stop by again and browse around sometimes, anytime at all.


~Amelia